Fashion shows: visitor manual
So that´s it, you decided to go visit the next fashion show this year? Perfect! To help you make the most of all the advantages a fair has to offer you, we created this post, full of recommendations… just follow the guide!
Before the fair: prepare your visit!
- Get information on the exhibitors, your favorite brands, your suppliers and check if they´ll be there. Normally you should find the list of exhibitors on the fashion show´s website. That being said, it is not always perfectly updated and you might have a hard time with all the different brands and subsidiary brands names etc. So, what should you do? Exhibitors usually announce their presence at professional shows on their own website or through their social networks: follow them, it´s an easy, quick and handy way of getting their latest live information!
- Organise your time: check out the program of workshops, conferences, shows and interviews planned during the fair and make up your own planning! By no means should you miss a good opportunity to make a new connection or to know more about a specific brand or another. A quick piece of advice for the most absent-minded ones: setting up ringing reminders on the calendar of your mobile phone might be really useful, think about it!
- Write down your priorities, some tangible goals and ask yourself the following question: “what exactly did you have in mind when deciding to visit the show? Draw up a list of the brands that you would not miss for anything in the world. And by the way, don´t wait until the last minute before you go meet them: sometimes booths are collapsed with people and you might be asked to come back later on.
- Take pictures. Indeed, you´ll be seeing so many different things that it might be hard to remember everything you liked. A detail, the name of a designer, a model, a cut, a color that inspires you new ideas, an original way of displaying a product or how to showcase it…
- When you pick up or exchange business cards, write down immediately some detail that will help you rememeber whose it is: a keyword, his/her haircut, an anecdote, the conditions in which you met him/her, something you have in common, his/her outfit… As time goes by, business cards will pile up and your memory has its limits: give it this useful little help!
During the fashion show:
- Day 1: Take your marks. Look around, pick up a few strategic business cards, spot on the map where the important people are. On the first day you usually see so many things that you end up exhausted, with major information overload. Try and settle for just a first brief contact with a few interesting exhibitors, write down a few basic details and their contact details. Beware not to rush immediately to the first stall and spend hours viewing its whole collection… make the most of your time and try to get a good general idea of the fair, in order to go back to those who really interest you later.
- Day 2: Go back to the stalls you spotted the day before. Take the time to work well on the spot, focusing on your objectives. It is absolutely useless to do things you could do from home or from your shop at the fair: it is possible to make some decisions or finalize orders once the fair is over, when you can give it your whole attention.
- Day 3: finally, if you are satisfied with the meetings you have had so far, you can dedicate this day to – relax a bit and – get some inspiration on how to display and showcase jewellery and accessories in your shop window. And since you are at it, there will be countless examples of catalogues, posters, flyers… this is a good time for you to pick up some ideas for your own shop and if needed, it will help you define what you (do not) like, what would suit you and how you distinguish yourself from the competitors.
Maybe some of these pieces of advice seem obvious to you but I assure you they will be really useful. It surely happened to all of us at least once: spending half-a-day placing an order you end up regretting afterwards. To sum up then, our biggest piece of advice is: prepare yourself and you´ll make the very best of the fashion show, you´ll come back with plenty of new ideas in your head and totally uplifted for another new season! Because yes, in the end, that´s what it is about: enjoying our jobs, right?
How about you? Do you have any tips to share with us? Tell us about it! 🙂
Comments are closed